Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I don't like sororities but...

I know I rarely branch out from discussing shows on ABC, The CW, NBC and Fox, but hold on tight because I'm about to go somewhere you might not expect (unless you know me and my infatuation with television). "Greek" is on ABC Family and is honestly a good show. Yeah, it's about frats and sororities (which you would never catch me at, no matter what) but the writing is smart, the characters are relatable, and... everyone on the show is attractive. Even Clark Duke who I may or may not have a geek crush on.

But let's get down to it. Monday marked the anticipated return of the college-based show and return it did, with clever one-liners and CineMUSic worthy tunes.
In the opening scene, my ears perked up as I recognized the sweet sound of The Submarines. The L.A. duo, which is made up of John Dragonetti and Blake Hazard (yes, those are their real names. Bitchin', right?), sing sweet little songs that make you wish they were providing the soundtrack for your life. If they were, you would be starring in a not-too-indie-but-still-quirky flick full of stolen glances, chaste kisses, and endearing speeches.

"
The Wake Up Song," which also appeared in the show Gossip Girl, is a nice representation of the band's tendency to mix classic instruments and digital audio effects (note, the auto-tune). You may find yourself listening to this track thinking "These voices sound kind of familiar..." and you know what? They should!

Exhibit one
: The iPhone 3G commercial that everyone in America saw every moment of every day. "You, Me, and the Bourgeoisie" is the song used for said commercial, and it's actually an infectious little track. Another one of their songs "Submarine Symphonika" was used in other iPhone commercials as well.
Exhibit two
: The characters of Nip/Tuck lip-synced the song "Brighter Discontent" in the season four finale. I can't vouch for why the hell they did this as I was told the show has really gone down hill and thus, am afraid to get involved.
Exhibit three
: An instrumental version of their song "Modern Inventions" (my favorite Submarines song, FYI) was used during the credits of the HBO documentary 'A Pixar Story.'

And there you have it. A rundown of pretty much all you could ever need or want to know about The Submarines. You're officially prepared to experience their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment