Tuesday, March 9, 2010

XOXO, Gossip Girl

"Gossip Girl" is back and let me tell you guys, I could not be more pleased. And Monday's episode? Well, the music choices were so good, I'm covering almost the entire episode's worth!

First, there was Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. I talk about them at CineMUSic and in daily life constantly, so let me just reiterate: they're awesome.

Then there was "Spirit Horse" by Sea Wolf. Sea Wolf is led by Alex Brown Church (previously of the band Irving) and is a band that creates this comfortable, relaxing (but never boring) indie rock. Their most popular song "You're A Wolf" has been used in a slew of television shows and film and it's this beautiful little piece of music that just gets under your skin in the best way.

"Crystalised" by the xx popped up next and reminded me how good that song is and how enjoyable their debut album is. If you're familiar with The Kills, imagine that duo only a bit toned down and understated. They're a little bit dark and moody, and yet the music makes me want to move. Wikipedia tells me they're "dream pop." I suppose that's an adequate genre choice.

And rounding it all out was Monsters of Folk's "Map of the World." If you're at all interested in folk/indie music, I can say with 99% certainty that you've heard of one of the members of the supergroup. It's made up of Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis (both of Bright Eyes) and M. Ward. I've never been a big fan of Bright Eyes (too mopey and sad for me) but Monsters of Folk is... well I think the name of the band kind of says it. It's folk music you can sink your teeth into and enjoy even if folk isn't your favorite genre.

Basically, "Gossip Girl," you dominated this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment