Sunday, November 6, 2011

A band that will be COASTing right into your life

It took me a while to find it, but I heard a song at the end of last week's "90210" (yeah, I watch that, too. Go ahead, judge me) and I had to know what it was. After a few days of searching the small snippet of lyrics - "Let's start a riot" - which lead to awful results that were not the right songs - I finally found it. The light at the end of the tunnel ended up being "RIOT!!" by The Coasts. It's at this point that I must apologize for that horrendous pun in the title of this post.

Anyway, Ike Peters and Eric Mount make up The Coasts. They're a nice little duo from...well,one half of the band is from Little Rock, AK and the other half is from Lebanon, OH (hey ACRNers! They're almost locals! Let's get 'em here.) Their first album is a little bit pop and a little bit rock 'n roll. They're raw and garage-y (think "10 A.M. Automatic" by The Black Keys). The Coasts definitely have some old-school inspiration (their track "Stranger/Danger" for instance) with a twist of current stuff. It's like Roy Orbison and The Black Keys had a love child and that child is The Coasts.

I can't help listening to their album and thinking a lot of it would have appeared on The O.C. if only it were still around. The entire thing is so listenable and catchy. It's that music you just know would be so fun to see live. I can just see these guys jamming out in The Union and people absolutely loving it.

The Coasts are definitely a little gem you'll want to check out. Their entire album is available to stream for free on their bandcamp site or you can buy it (buy it! Some of the proceeds go to Hope For Haiti's Children and it's only five bucks!) to show your support.

And maybe some proactive music-lover could contact their management and get them to Athens, eh?

"Handshakers" The Coasts (my personal favorite from the album)


"Hard-Working Man" The Coasts


"RIOT!!" The Coasts

No comments:

Post a Comment