Sunday, November 8, 2009

A band that makes me want to cry

There is a song on my iTunes that has the ability to crush my soul and break my heart. That song is "To Build a Home" by The Cinematic Orchestra (featuring stellar vocals by Patrick Watson.)

Thursday night, the folks at "Grey's Anatom" were on their game in choosing to use the song "Breathe" by the aforementioned band (in addition to "Gold Guns Girls" by Metric - who are about to get annoyingly popular, I predict). I'll be honest in saying that typically, The Cinematic Orchestra isn't really my style, considering the fact that they're very jazz influenced. However, the most recent studio album, Ma Fleur, is brilliant.

"Breathe" features vocals by Fontella Bass, who is a soul singer. The song moves between subdued and soaring instrumentals, ebbing and flowing with Bass's heartbreaking voice.

Odds are, if you were to hear "To Build a Home," you would probably recognize it from one of the following places: "Criminal Minds," "Grey's Anatomy," "Friday Night Lights," "One Tree Hill" or "Ugly Betty." It's a piece of music that takes a "whatever" scene and makes it feel beautiful.

All music is beautiful in its own rite, but Ma Fleur is an almost perfect example of what makes up a beautiful and inspiring album. Add it to your collection - you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment