Thursday, November 12, 2009

T.I. is in jail and someone has to maintain his popularity

Loyal reader(s)/anyone: we have something serious to talk about.

On last week's episode of "Gossip Girl' there was - prepare yourself - a threesome. Not just any threesome; this was a college threesome involving Hilary Duff (who really isn't as innocent as you might think). A bit risque, no?

Actually, no. All that happened is that we saw Duff down some type of alcoholic drink, kiss her boyfriend, kiss her boyfriend's best friend, then said boyfriend and best friend kissed. Big deal. I signed up for the controversial but still realistically awkward fumbling of clothes and a lot of What do I do?'s. Whatever, I'll keep watching.

I digress. What appealed most about this threesome was the song in the background - Anya Marina belting out a stellar cover of T.I.'s "Whatever You Like." Anya's sweet little voice seems a bit too innocent to be crooning the words "late night sex/so wet, so tight," but for some odd reason, it works. I can completely understand why this version was used - it's a little bit sexy and mysterious. If they had used the original, I have the distinct feeling the scene would have been a bit more... graphic.

In addition to "Gossip Girl," Anya is quickly gaining popularity through the loved/hated Twilight franchise. That's right - her song "Satellite Heart" appears on the "New Moon" soundtrack. Based on how crazed 15 year-old-girls are in terms of Twilight, count on people adding her to their list of favorite music. Also, I won't be surprised if she's the catalyst for a bunch of mopey teenagers to pick up guitars and start whispering about guys that dazzle them but break their hearts. You've been warned.

Anya Marina captures what I do like about chick rock. Lisa Loeb doesn't make me want to "Stay," I'm just a bit too young for The Indigo Girls and Jewel confuses me. Anya Marina, though? I'll allow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment