Wednesday, November 11, 2009

If you like magic and music, you'll want to read this

This is a slightly belated report about what wonderful group was featured on what wonderful show, but not to worry - this still puts you way ahead of the game in listening to trendy music.

In last season's finale of "Ugly Betty" (skip to 5:08 for the fun and games), a little song called "40 Day Dream" had a big impact on me. The song, which I imagine could only be some type of miracle creation from Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, is a piece of music that could demolish your soul due to its astounding sound. It's easily one of the songs I've been most enthusiastic about in the last year or two.

Led by Alex Ebert - yes, of Ima Robot - it's hard to pin down what the group's sound is. It consists of ten musicians and floats around from genre cloud to genre cloud. Sometimes, in the case of their song "Janglin" it's like Bob Dylan decided to make fun music that I can understand and actually enjoy. Put down your weapon - I mean no offense.

Essentially, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes is a band that produces what some might consider magical music. It's got layers of beautiful instruments, lovely harmonies, and whimsical lyrics. I mean, just read this: "She got jumper cable lips/she got sunset on her breath/I inhaled just a little bit/now I got no fear of death."

Just try to fight me on this. Just try.

No comments:

Post a Comment