Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Will my suffering never end?

In case my recommendations and commentary don't already make it apparent, I'll just go ahead and say it: I am a music snob. I don't like the general public becoming privy to the truly amazing bands that I enjoy so much. The general public likes trash like Nickleback, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and 3OH!3. So, when they start latching on to bands that have real talent and a strong, devoted fanbases that have been around for years, yeah, I get a little bit riled up.

And you know what isn't helping my irritation? The Twilight soundtracks. Today, the artists and track names for the new Twilight: Eclipse soundtrack were released one-by-one on the half hour. Here are all of the artists featured:


I am well aware that those are all relatively well-known bands. I am not stuck in a belief that they are little, independent bands that I can claim as "mine." But, for some reason, when
15-year-old girls who think that Twilight has Oscar-worthy writing and acting - a true love story for the times - start listening to them, it makes them sparkle a bit less (yes, that was an intentional play on the fact that the vampires in the realm of Twilight appear to sparkle in the sun).

That is not to say that I'm not looking forward to the soundtrack. It is comprised of new, original tracks from the artists, and I'm always excited for new music from some of my favorites. Beck and Bat For Lashes collaborating? I'm so there. The track is called "Let's Get Lost" and there is no way it won't be incredible.

But Twilight is a book/film series that glorifies a creepy, troubling, abusive relationship, portrays a heroine whose life hinges on whether or not some dead guy is around or loves her, and reduces grown women to having flighty pre-teen fantasies. I hate to be one of those people, but I just don't like the idea of bands that I cherish being associated with such a franchise.

If only this it a compilation/collaborative project like Dark Was The Night. But no. Naturally, it has to come from a series about vampires with glittery skin, young men who become buff and (I'm ashamed to say) kind of hot because they're actually werewolves, and a girl who has nothing of interest to offer as a human, and - yet - has at least three guys in love with her.

So, I'll be honest. I don't want to share a musical interest with someone who thinks that Florence Welch's voice is almost as good as Carrie Underwood's. But, any new material is a treasure for me. So, I guess I'll take it and just blog/whine about it/act like an arrogant fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment