Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Music to cry to

There's an adorable little show on The CW called "Life Unexpected" that just wrapped up its first season on Tuesday. And it was so emotional, I almost cried. Almost. I managed to hold back the tears.

It wasn't just the acting of the dirty/hot Kristoffer Polaha, or the writing -- it was a devastating duet (randomly titled "Duet") between Rachael Yamagata and Ray LaMontagne that made me want to jump off a bridge because my heart hurt so much.

OK, that might be a bit extreme. I'm just going to go ahead and skip to the music portion of this post. If you don't already know, Ray LaMontagne is the bee's knees and if you don't already listen to him, do it. I would like to take this opportunity to shed some light on Rachael Yamagata.

When I listen to her music, it's like swimming in an ocean of tears, having my heart ripped out by an Ork, and falling off a giant cliff that leads right back to the ocean of tears. In a good way! She has this gorgeous, throaty (OK, that's kind of an awful word) voice and she plays the piano like someone made the instrument just for her.

Odds are, you've heard Rachael's music before. Lists seem to be my forte, so I'm going to go ahead and do that right now. Here's where you might have heard her amazing voice before:

1. "Worn Me Down" and "Reason Why" on "The O.C."
2. "Be Be Your Love" on "One Tree Hill" and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants soundtrack
3. "Duet" on "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice"

I can't begin to tell you how wonderful she is. Again, a majority of her music has a spot on my "Depressed" playlist on iTunes, so if you're looking for songs to listen to while curled up in the fetal position, weeping every tear you have in you, I think her music will really help get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment