Friday, April 2, 2010

Not Radiohead (thank God.)

So, I'm watching "Grey's Anatomy" this past Thursday, and in the background, I'm sure I'm hearing Thom Yorke's stupid voice managing to sound good. And then I thought, "Ah, shit. I'd rather not admit that Thom Yorke has made something enjoyable." Lucky for me, I won't have to say that. Because it wasn't Thom Yorke and it wasn't Radiohead!

It was Aqualung, or as I see it, the man with the most beautiful voice in all the land. It's devastating really. Aqualung is Matt Hales and his amazing piano playing. You might recognize his song "Strange and Beautiful (I'll Put A Spell On You)," which manages to be heartbreaking and sexy at the same time. You might even recognize another song of his, "Brighter Than Sunshine" which was used in the movie A Lot Like Love.*

"Remember Us" was the song used at the end of "Grey's" and features Sara Bareilles (of "Love Song" fame.) It's full of subdued vocals and quite a few "oohs" and "aahs." Essentially, Hales makes music that is built for emotional moments on the screen. Or maybe in real life when you just want to curl up into a ball and die. You pick.

*Can I just gush for a moment? So many people wrinkle their noses when I admit fervent love for A Lot Like Love, but it's a wonderful chick flick. You know why? Because it's more realistic than other rom-coms, Ashton Kutcher is goofy and hot, and the soundtrack is great. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment